home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

4.15.2011

Boyce Thompson Arboretum

Finally it's Friday!  Today we have a wonderful guest blogger for you:  Christina of Full House.  No, not Mary Kate and Ashley kind of Full House, but a Full House as in Christina has both 2 of a kind and 3 of a kind (twins and triplets).  I've been following Christina since I discovered her blog over a year ago.  I kind of gravitate towards blogs written by other moms of multiple multiples.  And of course I love all the home decor she features on her blog.  It's addicting.  This last year I've seen Christina do a few posts on the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.  Her pictures had me sold.  So, when I wanted to do a special write-up on the place, I knew just who to ask.  Thanks Christina for taking the time to help us out.  (And I had no doubt she would.  She's too kind to say no.)   

Hi there...
Back in 1982 you may have found me exploring and digging for pieces of Native American pottery in the dirt fields close to my home in Mesa. That was just one of my earliest memories of growing up here in the Valley. Obviously so much has changed since those days but a couple of things remain that same....I still can't stay in one place for too long and I still feel the need to explore. This time around though I am responsible for five little ones and in my opinion sometimes those five little ones do their best work while strapped into a car seat for as long as possible..if you know what I mean. On one of these such outings I decided to take the kids to Globe and on the way we passed by the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. From the side of the road it didn't look overly interesting and I almost kept on a truckin but decided to give it a try and I am glad that I did.

From my point of view, the 45 minute drive out East is well worth it. First the admission price was very reasonable for myself and my five kids...especially when they were all five and under because that meant the admission was FREE for all of them. Secondly the place has been made into a little oasis in the desert and coupled with nice weather, it is a jewel of a place to enjoy the outdoors. There is a little river, a couple of bridges, a nice assortment of botany and some great walking trails. Basically the kids could run around and explore all of the little nooks and crannies till their little adventure seeking hearts content. The place really is set up for plenty of exploring opportunities. I think the first time we went we easily spent a good three hours exploring the arboretum. It wasn't until we were on our way out that I discovered that there were maps and activities for kids. In fact they have a whole list of things on their website found here.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

See what I mean - you are sold aren't you?  I bet you have out your calendar right now and are making time to head out there.  "The Arboretum is located at Highway 60 Milepost #223 near the historic copper mining town of Superior, about one hour's drive due east of Phoenix on the Superstition Freeway."  There are daily tours at 11:00 AM and right now you can learn about wildflowers.  You might also be interested in other activities like Junior Ranger Saturdays or this weekend's "Plants of the Bible Walk." Check out all events here.  Admission is $7.50 for adults and $3 for ages 5-12.  The arboretum is a State Park, so if you have purchased a year pass for the State Parks, this is included.  Read about our post on State Park year passes here.  

P.S. - If you like what we do at I Heart Mesa, please thank our sponsors.  Do you have a wedding or special occasion coming up (oh, maybe a graduation party)?   Then please check out Emotion String Quartet to set the right tone for your event.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great writeup! I love your images too. And yes, I do know what you mean. Long car drives are the best.

It really is a gorgeous place for kids, or adults! I did a writeup on my own blog recently as well; we might run into each other one day!