home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

3.28.2011

Fun and Family in Mesa for the week of March 28th

As always, on Monday we like to post the upcoming activities that might appeal to you and your young ones here in Mesa - although most activities are for young and old alike (like - don't pass up on the chance to erase your fines at the Library with a donation...read on).

The Apache Junction High School Performing Arts Department Presents Disney's Alice in Wonderland Jr.  March 30th through April 1st at 7:00 PM: 2525 S. Ironwood Drive (Southern and Ironwood)

Or if you have a child interested in film production, Saturday, April 2, 2011 from 8:30 -11:00 AM check out Kid's Day in the Party Pavilion at Harkins Scottsdale 101 theatres.  Ages 5-12 can run through stations to learn writing, sequencing, acting....and more (all the aspects of film making).  Check out the flyer here

Do you frequent the library with your children for storytime or just to grab a nice read?  I like to, but I also have $4 in fines.  Well, my sister Katie reminded me that in April, for every canned food you donate at the Mesa libraries, you get $1 off your fines.  So for me, 4 cans = a fine free Kathryn.  See the flyer here.

Have you looked into Urban fishing lately.  I know as a kid, I loved spending that time with my dad.  Under 14 do not need a license!  So check out the link here and then head over to Red Mountain Park or Riverview Park for fishing in the city.  I've been to both locations with my own children and don't have a huge preference on the locations - whichever happens to be closest at the time, whether we are on the east or west side.  I do like the bike trail and the proximity of the playground to the lake at Red Mountain though.
(picture taken from Angela's day at Red Mountain Park.)

And I know I mentioned it on Friday, but if you are going to the play in Apache Junction, you might want to make it a whole theme check out the "Once Upon a Time...Fairy Tales, Frogs and Fables" exhibit at the Arizona Museum for Youth.  I also love the art stations where my kiddos can try to draw like the masters, the Play Ball exhibit, and the Mad Hatter Tea Party glow in the dark room (see it goes with the play).  I would post an adorable picture of my little Leta glowing under that black light at the fabulous Tea Party, but my picture seems to be playing peek-a-boo with me.  But, trust me, we enjoyed the fantastic hats and decor.  

Enjoy your week out as a family,
- Kathryn

No comments: