home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

12.31.2008

Favorite Things of 2008

Sorry about no new events. It seems like the only major thing going on this New Years Eve was the Tempe Block Party, but I figured pretty much everyone has heard about that one.

So with the new year I thought I would copy something that my creative sister-in-law did: share my top favorite things of 2008. Now these are things you can buy with money, so obliviously I'm not putting a picture of my family, but I loved the idea because just looking at my sister-in-law's list gave me a few ideas of new products I would like to try out. I'll share mine, then if you would like, do this on your own blog and leave a comment here letting others know to check out your fabulous finds of 2008.

These are in no particular order:
1 - Rubber Floor Mats for My Car: These are wonderful. I got them through the dealership so they are more heavy duty than those that you can purchase at Walmart, but I love how they trap the mud and debris. They are MUCH easier to clean than carpeted ones. I would recommend these for any car that is the "family car" or gets used for off-roading and camping trips.
2 - LG Steam Washer and Dryer: I love how what used to take me 2.5 loads of laundry now only takes 1 load. These save me time and are nicer on our electricity bill. I'm glad we finally upgraded this year.
3 - Express Jeans: I don't love all Express jeans, but I do like the Stella boot cut and the X2 W10 styles. They are the only jeans I have found that fit me. Meaning, they aren't low riders that show my rear when I bend over and they don't come up to my belly button. They don't look like bell-bottoms on me and they don't cost hundreds of dollars.
4 - Redken 09 Hairspray: My hair doesn't stay perfect all day long, but I love the flexible hold of this hairspray. Plus it smooths out my frizzy hair without weighing it down. A little pricey, but a great finishing product.
5- Queen Helene Mint Julep Face Masque: I found a recommendation for this product earlier in the year while I was blog hopping. The blogger said her modeling coach recommended it. Now wouldn't that be a nice phrase to say, "My modeling coach." Oh well, although I'm not a model, I do love this product. It cost me about $3.50 for 2 at Walgreens (buy 1 get 1 free deal) and it's a nice refresher for my dull skin.
6 - Scotch-Brite Kitchen Cloths: These rags don't miraculously clean everything without any effort, but they are my favorite rags. My mother-in-law gave them to me and I find myself always searching for them in the rag drawer. They just make scrubbing grime easier.
7 - Burt's Beeswax: Call me stupid, but I was afraid to try this stuff because I thought it would be waxy. It's not and I like how it makes my lips feel. It has a great mint taste that doesn't make me gag. My sister-in-law has also introduced me to the wonders of the tinted ones.
8 - Family Pictures: Let me introduce you to my beautiful girls Lucy and Elsa. I know, I said I wasn't putting my family on here, but after much thought, I came to the conclusion that paying for good family pictures is a must! This was the first time in 7 years of marriage that my husband and I have paid to get professional family pictures (besides the silly old west ones in Silverton, Colorado). These were taken by my good friend Darby, but remember, we also recommend DM Photo for your photography needs.
9 - The Double Decker Carousel at Superstition Springs Mall: This is mostly for my girlies. I hate things that spin, but this little ride makes them so happy. There is just something special about seeing my little ones take a ride with their dad. The tokens are a little pricey, but we usually spend the $20 up front to get (I think) 8 tokens. We just save the rest for other visits. Adults who are riding with children do not need a token.
10 - The Miso Salad from California Pizza Kitchen: Just read how CPK's website describes it: "Shredded Napa cabbage with fresh avocado, julienne cucumbers, daikon, edamame, carrots, red cabbage, green onions, cilantro, crispy rice noodles and crisp wontons tossed in a Miso dressing and topped with blue crab and shrimp. Also available with chilled-grilled chicken instead of seafood." Oh how I crave this salad.
So there you have some of my favorite products of 2008. Now maybe you have a few new things you would like to try. I got personal and shared my list, now it's your turn.

1 comment:

Nik said...

Are they still doing a free carousel ride on Thursdays?
It's been a while since we went (we went right after the new double decker opened), but my kids love that carousel, too.

I'm thinking I might do one of these lists on my blog, too. Great recommendations!

And congratulations on your twins! Or is that the "other 1/2" of the blog... I think I'm a little confused...