home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

11.11.2008

DM Photo

If you remember, here at iheartmesa, we love supporting our locals. On Saturday I met with Aaron and Jed of DM Photo, LLC at the MAC for a family photo shoot. Through my time at the shoot and a questionnaire, I was able to get to know this company a little better, and as usual, when we find something good, we like to pass that information on to you.
Aaron, born and raised in Hawaii, and Jed, born and raised in Mesa, met when they were both still single. Now they are both married, have started their families and a little over a year ago, they started DM Photo, LLC. They have a passion for photography and while Jed is "attracted to making people attractive", Aaron enjoys interacting with people and capturing everything from vivid colors to "compelling human emotions". They may have different reasons for enjoying/loving photography, but the results are amazing.

These guys are laid back and easy going, which was especially appreciated when my daughter wouldn't look at the camera and kept running away and when I showed up fifteen minutes late. Everything felt pretty casual, but the pictures still look professional. They laughed when my daughter ran away to play in the dirt and responded by snapping a few pictures. Family pictures are stressful. You want the perfect picture and your kids don't understand. So working with people that are easy going is very important to me.

Something else that stood out about DM Photo, LLC was their use of lighting. I have never seen a photographer use lighting with a digital camera. They said they do it to enhance their pictures and bring out their subject. Lighting is crucial in the quality of a photo and as you can see below, it certainly was utilized wonderfully in the photos.

Meet Aaron (aka husband, father, surfer):
Where did you learn photography? On the street, in books, online, and in my head. Rare is the day that I’m not thinking about how to incorporate a technique I just read about, a new location to shoot, a different way to post process an image, or how I can get my wife to model for me just one more time so I can try out my new lens/background/lighting/whatever.

Hardest part about doing photography? Honestly, there isn’t much I consider to be hard about it. If I had to choose something, I’d say not being able to do more of it. What I need is someone who is ready at the drop of a dime to go out and model for me when I want to try a new technique/lighting setup/location. I once photographed my trash can outside when I couldn’t find an air breathing subject. That was one nicely lit trash can, though. I made trash look good.

Best part about doing photography? Photography opens doors, and you get to experience things that you would never have gotten to, otherwise. For example, we were given VIP passes at Firebird Raceway a few months ago and had a blast photographing some of the racers right alongside the track where most people are never allowed to go. We’re beginning an incredible project in a couple of months that will be an absolutely amazing experience for us both. Unfortunately, that one is hush hush… for now.

Your favorite event and/or location to shoot? For me it’s portrait photography (as opposed to landscapes or inanimate objects). I love people and the emotions they carry. Each face is different and presents a new and exciting possibility. In particular, we really enjoy doing senior pictures.

Best photography blunder/embarrassing moment? That’s right. It’s spit up. How’s that for perfect timing?

Meet Jed (aka husband, soon-to-be father, student):

Where did you learn photography? Mr. Matheson, the other long haired weird guy at Westwood High who took his place (yes the same guy who would start crying when he would talk about how emotional it was to watch the TapDawgs dance (or whatever that all guy tap dance group was named that wore really short cut-off jeans)), and by pressing the big button on the camera.

Greatest inspiration in your photography career? Zac Efron, and the people I shoot.

Hardest part about doing photography? Getting parents to look at the camera when we are getting the kids to smile. Shooting at high Noon. Taking too many exposures.

Best part about doing photography? People we meet, cool pictures we take, and money we make.

Best photography blunder/embarrassing moment? Last week when I asked two sisters if they had partners and they thought I was asking if they were partners.

After getting the photos back (which was actually just a few short hours after the shoot), I realized I probably didn't need the questionnaire. I am a pretty critical person and the only thing I can complain about the pictures are my own personal issues (i.e. hairs that are out of place, a child that can't sit still and lopsided smiles). Not only was the shoot a good experience, but I was highly impressed with the results.

When looking at the pictures, remember that they were all taken outside around five in the evening. Obviously that's the beauty of using lighting equipment even when using a digital camera. I'm sure you'd agree that the pictures speak for themselves. Who needs a write up when you have the proof?

If you're looking for a great photographer (Christmas cards, anyone?) for anything at all (they do everything... families, events, commercial, portraits, etc.), contact Jed or Aaron with DM Photo. See their website to peruse their gallery, obtain pricing information and get contact information.
Keep supporting our locals!

1 comment:

DM Photo said...

Thanks for the spotlight! We had a great time with you, Jason, and Clara. Take care - Jed and Aaron