home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

10.02.2008

October and Still HOT - What do YOU do to cope?

Can you believe it's October?  Welcome to fall in Arizona.  Hot, hot, and more hot.  When the summer seems to never end, you need ways to cope.  One way my family copes is with a trip up north to Sunrise Ski Resort.  Anyone who goes skiing or snowboarding probably knows there are 2 main parks here in Arizona:  Sunrise and Snowbowl.  In our family, it's all about Sunrise.  I'm not a skier, but my husband is and eagerly awaits the day that he and his little girls can hit the slopes together.  

On October 11th and 12th, Sunrise is hosting their annual fall colors and pass promotion.  This is when (see flyer below) you can take your kids, 12 and under, to get a "free" season pass for Sunrise.    They do have to complete the little checklist on the flyer and pay a $25 printing fee (I didn't find the cost of the printing fee on the website for Sunrise, but my husband said to trust him because he, "knows everything about Sunrise.").  So the total cost to get the "free" pass would be $30 + gas to get to Sunrise.  It is probably not worth it if you will only go to Sunrise once this winter, but if you will be taking your kids multiple times, this is a good deal.  

My little family will be going up north for the weekend of the 11th.  My girls are still too young to ski, but we are going to enjoy the fall colors and the lift rides.  One thing I love about Arizona is that you can drive a few hours and be in a totally different environment.  Here, in the valley, it's desert.  However, a few hours away, the White Mountains offer such beautiful forests.  The colors are changing and the cool weather is always a nice way to make it actually feel more like fall. The cost of the lift tickets for adults are around $8 and are $5 for youth.  (I tried to reach Sunrise by phone to confirm the price, but have been unable to.)  The weather should be much cooler, so remember to pack some warm clothes and enjoy all the beauties of Arizona.  I can't wait!  Beautiful trees, here we come.

Photo from here.

What do you do to cope with a hot fall?  Let us know your suggestions, and remember, every comment gets you closer to that $25 that we are giving away.  Maybe you can use it to help pay the cost of your own little northern Arizona get away.  Remember, the giveaway ends Friday at midnight.  So, ready, set, comment.  

5 comments:

Emily B said...

Okay, I totally don't live in Arizona but we do occasionally get those hot fall days way up here in Ontario (last weekend was nice - this week we're down to 12 degrees, that's Celcius). Just think of it as a happy extension of summer. I mean, who really wants winter anyway? Sure, snow is pretty, but only for the first little while. Once you get over the 'pretty' factor, it's ridiculously cold and then it turns all slushy and grey as the winter drags on. So... enjoy your hot fall. Know that us Canucks will be jealous when we're neck-deep in snow and trying to shovel out so we can get some groceries. :)

Jennifer said...

Ok, I don't live there, and it's been almost 10 years since I've lived there during the Fall, so... really I just wanted to comment so I can win the $25!!

Plus, I like you.

And I like Mesa.

Marily said...

We try to get outside first thing in the morning. Although it's hot in the afternoon the mornings and evenings are beautiful!

K said...

I go sit at my sister's house and eat up her AC bill while my kids make a total mess. She loves me.

Patrice said...

This morning I opened all the doors -- oh to finally feel cool air! I miss the fall leaves. We plan on hitting Mt. Graham over October break to get some heat relief. It's a little far, but beautiful!