Happy Leap Day everyone. I know a lady (she grew up down the road from me in West Mesa) who shares her leap day birthday with her daughter. Talk about one in a million!
So one extra day today and then we are already into March. Here are some events we have been hearing about around town:
- Friday, March 2nd from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM: MCC's Southern/Dobson Campus Planetarium show. Free tickets are handed out at the door on a first come, first serve basis. All the details here.
- Saturday, March 3rd from 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM: Transportation Day at Little Light Preschool located at 6659 E. University Dr. Explore a hot air balloon, police car, ambulance, fire truck, construction vehicles, motorcycles, speed boat....for free. You can pay to also enjoy games, bounce houses, food and there will be a rummage sale. Information from here.
- March 1st - 3rd, 8th - 9th at 7:30 PM and March 10th at 2:00 PM: MCC's performance of RENT. Tickets start at $9. Details here.
- Saturday, March 3rd at 9:00 AM: Auction at Auction Empire in downtown Mesa. Check out their online catalog here.
- Saturday, March 3rd : Lehi Days Rodeo. Sadly, there is no information online that I can find. I have put in some calls, but will have to post later when I hear back on all the details.
- Thursday, March 8th from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Home Schooling Day at Mesa Grande. I don't home school, but my girls are done with Kindergarten by this time and it sounds like a wonderfully educational event. Learn about the Hohokam, learn from real archaeologists how to work a authentic site, enjoy games and crafts. Cost is $2 for members of the Arizona Museum of Natural History or $6 for non-members. Call 480-644-3553 for more information or to register.
- March 9th from 6:00 PM - 10:00 PM: Spring Wellness Festival as part of 2nd Fridays in downtown Mesa. Enjoy free yoga and back massages. Learn ways to help the environment. Over 70 vendors and stores stay open late.
- March 10th from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM: Gateway Aviation Day. Aircraft display, food and entertainment and Kids' Zone. A fun way to check out Mesa's expanding airport.
- March 9th and 10th: 150th Anniversary of the Engagement of Picacho Pass. "Experience three fascinating historic battle re-enactments complete with lifestyles of the soldiers in the southwest during the 1860s. More than 200 re-enactors come from many states and will camp at the park with their authentic Civil War camping gear. Food and beverage concessions are also available. Vehicle Entrance Fee: $10 (a vehicle) up to 4 persons. Each additional person is $3. Individual Entrance Fee is $3 for walk-in or bike. Gate Hours are from 9:30 AM - 3:00 PM and entry to park is permitted only during Gate Hours. Event hours are from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM." Information from here.
- March 9th - 18th: Mesa's Festival of Creativity. Trying to figure out how spend spring break? This sounds awesome. Walk through MIRAZOZO - another creation by Alan Parkinson that is like walking through a world of stained glass. Check out sidewalk chalk art installation, interactive art displays, performances, workshops....you must go here to get all the details. There will be a fee for some of the workshops and a $5 fee for MIRAZOZO, but everything else is free.
- March 17th from 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM: 3rd Annual Mayor's Cactus League Hot Dog Challenge. Try out the best hot dogs, watch a Mesa vs. Glibert Polic and Fire department softball game and enjoy activities for the kids. More information here.
We just heard about the Humana Guidance Center in Mesa. They offer free Ballroom Dancing classes, movie days, Wii games, quilting, Tai Chi, Bunco....Check out their March calendar of events here. No need to belong to the Humana insurance group, these free services are available to anyone. Sadly they used to have bikes available on loan to the public, but they discontinued that service.
Enjoy family story time, Infant Lapsit and Toddler Time at the public libararies. Or join the Lego club, take advantage of wellness classes, book clubs and more. Library calendar of events here.
There are still plenty of classes offered through Mesa Public School's Parent University. All classes are free and you do not need to be a parent of an MPS student to attend. Class schedule found here.
Thursdays: Free Spring Out to Lunch Concert Series at the MAC and SuperFarm Famers Market at Superstition Farm from 4:30 - 7:30 PM.
Fridays: Yoga in the park. 9:00 AM at Rendezvouz Park (adjacent to the Mesa Farmers Market on Center St. and University). Free classes provided by Floating Lotus Yoga Studio. Do some Yoga and then pick up some fresh fruits and vegis at the Farmers Market.
Saturdays: MACFest 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Enjoy this "made by me" cultural event.
And for your enjoyment, here is a video of the Emerson Bell Choir performing at the Mesa Public School's board meeting. I was an Emerson Bell Choir member many years ago. So many good memories of performing in Downtown Mesa and Phoenix.
(This is me clicking my heels after a fun outing in downtown Mesa last week. Hope you can plan some fun outings also.)