Let's get back into the swing of things with an events post:
- 2nd Friday in Downtown Mesa, Friday, January 13th, 2012. Enjoy this month's theme of "Film Fest on Main" by dressing up as your favorite movie character for a chance at prizes, test your movie knowledge, or enter you short film in the film festival for a chance at winning $50. All information from here.
- Monday, January 16th is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. There will be a community parade in downtown Mesa. Parade starts at 11:00 AM and there will be a festival with music, dancing, and community booths after the parade at the Mesa Arts Center. For other ways to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. in Mesa, go here.
- Purchase tickets now for Mesa’s 12th Annual Historic Home Tour. The tour will be held on Saturday, January 28th from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM and will feature houses in the Sherwood neighborhood built in the 50's and 60's and a few houses in the West Second Street District. Tickets are $15. You can purchase tickets here or on the day of the tour at the Mesa Historical Museum and in the historic neighborhoods. All proceeds will benefit the Mesa Historical Museum.
- Looking to sign up for Mesa Parks and Rec. classes? Registration is now open. To view all classes, leagues, ect. go here.
- Dickey's Barbecue is celebrating their grand opening in Arizona with $1 pulled pork sandwiches, this Friday, January 13th from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM. I've never had BBQ from this place before, but for $1, now might be a good time to try them out. Also, according to their website, kids eat free now through February (this is with an adult meal purchase, so not sure if the $1 sandwich will count.) The Dickey's will be located at 1914 Power Road (between Baseline and the Freeway.)
- Eating healthier one of your resolutions? You may want to hit up the local Farmers Markets. Super Farm is this Thursday, Downtown Mesa has one on Friday. Read all about local Farmers Markets in our post here.
- Speaking of Farmers Markets, Desert Roots Farm in Queen Creek is looking for some help in planting their onions this Thursday, January 12th and Friday, January 13th. I think the joy of digging in the dirt and enjoying the winter sunshine is good enough reason for me, but because it will be a full day of work, they will pay whoever wants to help out. Contact Kelly using the contact information at the bottom of their site.
- Mark your calendars for the EVIT Expo. EVIT will be celebrating their 20th anniversary with the public on Saturday, January 28th 2012 from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Attend this event and see the students show off their new skills with a car show, chair massages, food, games and prizes, bands, and more. Admission is free. Information from here. EVIT is located at 1601 W. Main St.
And....does anyone recognize this horse?