home about-us mesa links local attractions contact us

6.22.2010

Calling all of you alls with kids

My youngest at Park of the Canals

Hello I Heart Mesa friends,

I wanted to let you know about what my family is doing this summer and perhaps see if you'd like to come along for some of it.  I am one of eight participants around the country working with an organization called Kaboom for a pretty ambitious summer challenge.  I have committed to visiting 50 parks or play areas with my kids this summer!  I might be in over my head.  And since, you know, I write for a blog about Mesa I am going to mainly stick with parks and play areas in Mesa.  Did you know there are 56 parks alone just in Mesa?  Parks, pools, splash pads, they all count toward the goal of 50 play areas.  Wanna meet me sometime? 

My kids have the most fun at a park if there are friends to play with.  And kids are so great about making friends in an instant.  So, you wanna be our friend?  We're nice, I promise.  Send me an email: iheartmesa at gmail dot com.  Let me know what parks are close to you and when might be a good time and day for you to play.  Of course we have to consider the heat and so we will be going in the mornings (leave by 10am) and in the evenings (maybe after 6pm).  We're starting next week and will continue through the summer.

I'll keep you updated as we go.  Wish us luck!

Here's a little info from the City of Mesa about its relationship with Kaboom:

KaBOOM! is a national non-profit dedicated to saving play for America's children. Their mission is to create great playspaces through the participation and leadership of communities. Ultimately, they envision a place to play within walking distance of every child in America.

In 2009, Mesa was one of 93 cities nationwide to be recognized by KaBoom as a “Playful City USA.” KaBoom, along with hundreds of volunteers, helped to construct two new playgrounds in Mesa, at Park of the Canals and Beverly Park.

Don't leave us lonely. 
Are you coming? 




P.S. This is similar to but totally separate from Mesa's Summer Challenge.  Because they don't totally overlap I am not doing Mesa's--I think I already am getting amibitious enough.  But if you are doing Mesa's Summer Challenge, send me an email: iheartmesa at gmail dot com.  I'd love to meet up with you when you go to a park or a pool!

1 comment:

TheMoncurs said...

You should do an "I Heart Mesa Day" at one of the splash pads. I'd go!